Each year National Forest Week (NFW) is celebrated across Canada by many individuals and diverse governmental and non governmental organizations. During NFW, Canadians are invited to learn more about Canada’s forest heritage and to raise awareness about this valuable and renewable resource. Forests are fundamental to our economy, culture, traditions and history – and to our future. Communities, families and individuals depend on forests for their livelihood and way of life.
Established circa 1920 as Forest Fire Prevention Week, the
intention was to encourage greater public awareness towards Canada’s forests. At the time, there was no apparent shortage of trees for industrial expansion – the greatest threat came from forest fires, due mainly to human causes. Since then National Forest Week, as it was renamed in 1967, has evolved to encompass the many and varied human and environmental aspects of Canada’s forest resources – past, present and future. Although special activities are promoted across Canada, NFW remains first and foremost a challenge to individual Canadians to learn more about their forest heritage and support greater recognition of this valuable resource.
- Take a walk in woods nearby and get to know your forest
- Arrange a tree planting: Tree Canada
- Care for a newly planted or neglected tree, and study its species
- Identify all the things at home or school that are made of wood
- Learn about organizations that demonstrate sustainable forest management
- Tour a forest sector industry or processing site
- Learn about the prevention of forest fires
- Contact a provincial forestry association for teaching materials.
- Visit the NFW-BC Coalition website for information about NFW in the west!
- Lead a National Forest Week event!
Do you have a great National Forest Week event, story or photo that you would like to share?
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 National Forest Week Posters
The CIF-IFC distributes approximately 10 000 posters and postcards each year prior for NFW celebrations! We offer posters and postcards, free of charge.
Every year, the promotional poster and postcards for National Forest Week highlight a specific theme or aspect of Canadian forestry. The 2018 theme is “Research Forests: Canada's Living Laboratories”.
Thank you for celebrating and ordering 2018 National Forest Week promotional materials!