2022 Conference Program
2022 CIF-IFC National Conference and 114th AGM
The Conference theme, “The New Normal”, served as a testament to what we have been through in these past two years, and focused on the challenges and opportunities that are new realities within the forest sector. We drew on tremendous local expertise and know-how from across Canada to give Conference attendees a chance to explore topics such as meeting the demands of a global forest products market, sustainably managing forests in the 21st century, and innovative silviculture for growing the forests of tomorrow, today.
Thank you for attending #2022CIF!
Conference Speaker Session Presentations
Keynote and Plenary Sessions:
- Shane Berg – The New Normal for BC Forests
- Linda Nagel – Adaptive Silviculture for Climate Change
- Isabelle Allen – For the People – Indigenous Participation in Forest Management
- Richard Verbisky – Landscapes, Partnerships and Sustainability: 30 years of Local Leadership for Global Challenges through the International Model Forest Network
- Meghan Clay and Kristen Sandvall – Seed Sourcing for Resilient Forests
- Rob Keen – Ensuring the Right Tree in the Right Place
- Melissa Spearing – TransX and Tracking Assisted Migration: How the National Tree Seed Centre can Help
Session 2: Canada’s Diverse Forest Products Basket
- Spencer Hogan – Sustainable Forestry through Maple Syrup
- Carole Blaquiere – Trails and Tourism – Bringing People to the Forest
Session 3: Forest History Society – The Past Informs the Future
- Mark Kulhberg – “Saving the Appearance of the Property”: Launching Canada’s Aerial War Against Forest Pests in British Columbia, 1913-1929
- Al Tithecott – Wildland Fire: Moving from Concepts of Normal to Embrace Risk and Resilience
- Laird Van Damme – Forest Tenure Update
Session 4: Adaptive Silviculture for Climate Change
- Ché Elkin – Should Forest Management Legacies Influence Climate Adaptive Silviculture in Western Canada? Insights from the John Prince Research Forest ASCC trial
- Jeff Fera – Managing for Warmer and Dryer Conditions in the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Forest Region
- Alissa Freeman – Survival, Growth, and Physiological Performance of Forest Adaptation Plantings in Northern Hardwood Ecosystems
Session 5: Forests and Carbon Markets
- Adi Dunkelman – Carbon Offsets 101
- David Stevenson – Incredible! – Are Carbon Offsets for Real?
- Etienne Green – Baseline Modeling in Forest Carbon Projects
Session 6: Wildfire Risks and Emerging Science
- Laura Chasmer – Seeing the Forest and the Trees: Using LiDAR to Characterize the Diverse Fuels that make up Canadian Forests and Peatlands
- Liam Bennett – Remotely Sensed Data and Wildfire Management – Developing Techniques for the ‘New Normal’
- Dan Johnston – Wildland Fire Management in Ontario: The New Normal of Wildland Fire, and the Future of Fire Management
Session 7: Silviculture for the 21st Century
- Nelson Thiffault – Challenges and Opportunities for Forest Vegetation Management in a New Era
- Wayne Bell – Silviculture: the Art and Science of Keeping Pace with Management Paradigms
- Barry Davidson – Challenges in Balancing Silvicultural Objectives in the GLSL Forest
Session 8: International Forest Resources Trade and Economics
- Waqas Ghouri – Forest Products Market Outlook
- Heather MacDonald – COVID-19 Impacts on the Biomass Supply Chain
- Darren Sleep – ESG Metrics and the Role of Sustainable Forestry Certification
Session 9: The Forest Community
- Anthony Bourgoin – Using Technology Transfer to Support the Forest Sector
- Peter Friedrichsen – The Land of Changing Skies – Year 30 of the Prince Albert Model Forest
- Andrew Judge – A Meditation on Remembering what it Means to be a Human – Indigenous Knowledge for a Changing Climate
Student Quiz Bowl Competition
Some amazing research was showcased at the #2022CIF Poster Symposium! An excellent opportunity to share and discuss findings with Conference delegates and fellow poster presenters!
National Awards Ceremony:
September 12, 2022
Each year, the CIF-IFC presents a number of Awards in recognition of outstanding and unique accomplishment to forestry in Canada. The Institute was pleased to announce the 2022 National Award recipients at the Annual National Awards Ceremony, hosted on September 12, 2022 in Sault Ste. Marie, ON as part of #2022CIF.
Congratulations to all of the deserving CIF-IFC National Award recipients for 2022! 👏🎉
Read the media release and find the full list of recipients here: https://lnkd.in/gV4DcFCd
September 13, 2022
The legend lives on … Tom Foolery
The Institute’s semi-official band “Tom Foolery” brought its musical mystique to #2022CIF’s Social Night hosted at Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre. A great time was had by all Thanks to the band for performing once again!
Forests without Borders Silent Auction:
Thank you for your support at the 2022 Forests without Borders Silent Auction! See again next year!