Travel. Explore. Learn.
Gain International Forestry Experience
The Prince of Wales Forest Leadership Award Program will not be accepting applications for 2019-2020. Please stay tuned for 2020-2021 Program updates.
Thank you in advance for your patience.
The Award Program
This Award program recognizes students and recent graduates who have actively engaged in forestry or natural resource management and have demonstrated a passion for the environment and a desire to solve complex problems. A total of 4 award-winners, 2 from Canada and 2 from the United Kingdom, will take part in an international forestry student exchange program each summer. Participating students will work at meaningful employment in their partner country, which will offer a broad range of interdisciplinary forestry experience in policy, planning and field work.
This could include aiding in harvest prescriptions, high value conservation area determination, harvest block and road layout, silviculture-related data collection, modelling and analysis, or science and research support, along with urban forestry management, tree planting and nursery husbandry, or gaining a better understanding of how forestry NGOs and government work. If possible, individual participants will be given the opportunity to work for multiple employers during the exchange.
This program connects future forestry leaders with all the resources required for success—providing unique experiences and opportunities, and empowering participants, while significantly contributing to employers and host countries alike. Award recipients receive a bursary of £7,500 GBP total (approximately $12,000 CAD - bursary amount subject to change based on currency conversion rates). Participants cover their own expenses including flights, accommodation, local transportation, food, insurance and incidentals. In addition, participants are asked to maintain a blog during the exchange and produce an article after the program finishes.
For Canadian Applicants:
To be eligible for this award, you must be a member of the Canadian Institute of Forestry.
Must be a Canadian citizen age 30 or under, be able to speak English fluently, be studying or recently graduated from a Canadian post- secondary institution, and able to travel to the United Kingdom.
Please see note below for more information.
- Students who have spent at least 3 years in a silver-ring recognized university forestry/natural resources management program, i.e. 3rd or 4th year students
- Students in a silver-ring recognized Masters degree program in Forestry
- Students in a silver-ring recognized college forestry/natural resources technical program (must have finished at least one year)
- Convocation in 2018 or winter 2017 from a silver-ring recognized university forestry/natural resources management program
- Convocation in 2018 or winter 2017 from a silver-ring recognized Masters degree in forestry
- Convocation in 2018 or winter 2017 from a silver-ring recognized college forestry/natural resources technical program
For UK Applicants:
To be eligible for this award, you must be a student member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters.
In order to apply for this award, applicants must be a citizen of the United Kingdom, age 30 or under and able to travel to Canada. Students who have spent 3 years in a forestry, arboriculture or natural resources programme at a higher educational level within the UK, would be eligible to go on the exchange after:
- The 2nd year of a 3 year degree or 3rd year of a 4 year degree course, or;
- On graduating with a degree, or;
- On graduating with a Master degree.
Further information for UK applicants can be found on the Institute of Chartered Foresters website here.