About The Section
Ottawa Valley Section
The Ottawa Valley Section (OVS) members are forest practitioners from Eastern Ontario and Western Québec. There are also members from New York State.
- We encourage a wider understanding and appreciation of the forests of Canada and the practice of forestry among the general public, with particular emphasis on local issues;
- We advance our Members in their knowledge of the science and practice of forestry and to promote communications and camaraderie within the profession; and
- We promote respect for the ecological, economic and cultural importance of our forests.
What We Do
We deliver on our 3 objectives through events, field trips, AGM exchanges among members and monthly meetings of the OVS Council.
In partnership with CIF National, the OVS co-hosted the 2017 National AGM to celebrate Canada’s sesquicentennial 2017 Annual General Meeting and Conference. The Section was recognized for their efforts by awarding the Co-chairs (George Bruemmer and Jim Farrell) Outstanding Volunteer Awards in 2018.
Where We Are
The Ottawa Valley Section is in an area of great significance for indigenous peoples partly due to it being situated at the confluences of the Ottawa, Gatineau and Rideau Rivers. This includes the unceded territories of the Algonquin people (including nine separate communities in Québec) and to the east and south, the Mohawks, (including the communities of Akwasasne and Tyendinaga in Ontario) part of the Six Nation Confederacy.
In Ontario: The United Counties of Leeds and Grenville; Lanark County, The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry; The United Counties of Prescott & Russell; County of Frontenac; the southern portion of the County of Renfrew and the City of Ottawa.
In Québec: The Outaouais Administrative Region, the Regional County Municipality of Argenteuil and the City of Gatineau and, as revised from time to time by the National Board of Directors of the Institute. Neighbouring Sections include Southern Ontario and Central Ontario to the west and Algonquin Section and Orléans Section to the north and east.
|Chair||Ken Farr (Ken.Farr@nrcan-rncan.gc.ca)|
|Director||Jim Farrell (email@example.com)|
|Councillors||Ed Banfield (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
Keep Up With Section News
Past Section Events
Recent events include:
- 2021 December Forestry Seminar, hosted jointly by the Eastern Ontario Model Forest / Ontario Woodlot Association, and the Canadian Institute of Forestry (Ottawa Valley Section). Wednesday December 8th, 2021, 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM. Watch the recording here!
- Ring Ceremony, La Cité, Ottawa, 2019
- CIF AGM Ottawa, Forest History Tour, 2017
- Looking at thinning operations, CIF AGM, La Pêche, QC, 2016
- AGM 2015, Mill St. Brewery (site of former Thompson Perkins & Bronson Pulp Mill) With La Cité graduating class, 2015
- AGM 2014, Vanier Sugar Bush