YOUR CIF SECTION EXECUTIVE
2018/2019 Section Executive
|Vice Chair||Volker Schmid|
To contact the Saskatchewan Section, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ASFP OFFICE HOURS CIF/ASFP Joint NEWSEM August 2018
UPCOMING EXAM DATE
The next scheduled exam is September 11th. If you wish to write the exam but have not yet registered, email email@example.com ASAP. Deadline to register is extended to end of day of Monday, August 21st.
LABOUR MOBILITY UPDATES
Natalie Chatterson returns to her role as Saskatchewan’s Labour Mobility Coordinator (LMC). She provides us with the update below:
As of July 1, 2017, the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) has been replaced by the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA). Click the following link to see the full text of the CFTA and to review the provisions of Chapter 7 (Labour Mobility):https://www.cfta-alec.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/CFTA- Consolidated-Text-Final-Print-Text-English.pdf.”
SFI GRANT PROGRAM OPENS REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
SFI Opens Request For Proposals for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada. Click on the links below for more information.
- Press Release: Sustainable forestry initiative opens request for proposals: seeks new partners for conservation and community projects in the U.S. and Canada
- SFI Grant Program Request for Proposals Process
FEATURED JOB POSTING
BC Public Service is looking for a Forest Technologist. Please follow the link below for more information about this position and how to apply. Note that this competition closes on September 17, 2017. See more details on http://asfp.ca/job-centre
To see more job postings, check http://asfp.ca/job-centre regularly!
For a small charge, the ASFP distributes forestry or resource-based Job Opportunities via email to our members. In addition to this email, we are now posting job opportunities on our website. Check it out: http://asfp.ca/job-centre. If your company has a job opportunity and wants it viewed by our entire membership, contact the ASFP office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NORTHERN NOTES ISSUE #5 IS NOW AVAILABLE
The 5th Issue of Northern Notes is now available. Go to http://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/pubwarehouse/pdfs/39214.pdf or click the Image below to read about The Northern Forestry Centre Analytical Services Laboratory (ASL), The Northern Forestry Centre (NoFC) Herbarium and Canadian Forest Service (CFS) Field Research Installations
CONTINUING EDUCATION, WORKSHOPS, PRESENTATIONS, EVENTS
CIF E-Lectures – What’s scheduled in the next few weeks? Missed a Lecture? Just visit https://www.cif-ifc.org/e-lectures/
Please note that previous CIF e-lectures are only available to CIF members.
CIF Presents: Tour & Wine Tasting: CIF is organizing a wine tour at Riverlot Orchards Winery in St. Louis on Monday, September 18th, 2017. More details will follow so save the date and stay tuned!
CIF-IFC 109th AGM and Conference: The CIF-IFC‘s 109th Annual General meeting and conference will be held on from September 27-29, 2017 and will take place at the Westin Hotel, in Ottawa. According to the Working Forest, the conference will be co-located with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative’s (SFI) annual conference (see details below).
For more detail and to register click the link below.
The Sustainable Forestry Initiative is holding their Annual Conference in Ottawa, from
September 27-29, 2017. The Conference Themes are:
- Canada’s Abundant Forest Resource
- Global Policies and Markets
- Boreal Watersheds and Wildlife Conservation
- Collaborating for Conservation of Managed Forested Landscapes
- Global Trends in Supply Chain Management
- Provincial Perspectives on Challenges and Opportunities Linked to the Future of the Forest Sector
- Connecting Youth to Forests
- The SFI Fiber Sourcing Story
- Driving Innovation in Canadian Forestry
- Progressive Aboriginal Relations – from Forest Management to Housing
- Green Building and Corporate Social Responsibility
For more detail and to register click the link below. 2017 SFI Annual Conference
MFI Canada 2017 - MFI Canada is an exciting, high-level training opportunity educating professionals in the leadership and managerial aspects of urban forestry. Running from October 15 to 20, this week-long intensive educational program delivers a challenging opportunity to grow a more successful community tree program. The event will be held in NAV Center, Cornwall, Ontario, Canada.
- The Society of Municipal Arborists has set up an event on Facebook here: http://bit.ly/2vBAoRj
- Tree Canada has also provided information about MFI Canada on our Twitter page here:
For more detail and to register click the link below. MFI Canada 2017
Here are some forestry articles that may interest you. Click on the title to access the full article.
- B. C.’s record-breaking wildfire season
- Protestors camp out to defend Thundering Waters Forest from Niagara Falls development
- Ottawa forest up and leaves: Expert says Britannia woods migrating across a lake
- Reduced forest fire risk prompts N.B. to lift forestry restrictions
- Artificial intelligence can better predict forest fires, says Alberta researcher
- UNBC professor believes wildfires will have deep impacts on forest industry
- Climate change blamed as EU’s forest fires nearly treble in 2017
- B.C. government wants review of environmental risk assessment
- Forestry operations curtailed in N.B. due to fire hazard
- Sweet celebration for Canada’s 150th year — maple syrup from certified forests hits the shelves
- SFI Brings Together “Women in Wood” for Habitat for Humanity Build Day to Benefit Ottawa Indigenous Family
You can also click below to access ADDITIONAL NEWSLETTERS
If you have links to fascinating articles or videos or information about a job opportunity or continuing education seminar, please email NEWSEM and I will pass it on.
This monthly publication provides information of interest to our members from the CIF and ASFP about upcoming workshops, meetings, field tours, continuing education opportunities, and forestry news.