YOUR NEW CIF SECTION EXECUTIVE
2018/2019 Section Executive
|Vice Chair||Volker Schmid|
ASFP OFFICE HOURS CIF/ASFP Joint NEWSEM May 2018
NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The Association of Saskatchewan Forestry Professionals will hold its Annual General Meeting on May 29th, 2018. It will be held at 1:30 pm concurrently at four locations:
- The Provincial Wildfire Centre, Highway #2 North
- Weyerhaeuser Forestlands Office in Hudson
- Provincial Government Building, Forest Service office in Meadow
- Prince Albert Forest Centre, Forest Service, Birch
All Documentation required for the meeting were previously distributed via email.
MORE FROM THE CIF AGM AND CONFERENCE
This year, the CIF did a great job of hosting their AGM. In addition to their Annual General Meeting, members were treated to two days of conferences and a bowling night.
This year’s theme was: Effective Communications for Forestry Practitioners. The event featured a series of remarkable speakers from various backgrounds. Professional development sessions showcased innovative strategies, tools, and recommendations to help forestry professionals keep up with modern communications.
Pictures are viewable in the PDF version.
To see more job postings, check http://asfp.ca/job-centre regularly!
For a small charge, the ASFP distributes forestry or resource-based Job Opportunities via email to our members. In addition to this email, we are now posting job opportunities on our website. Check it out: http://asfp.ca/job-centre. If your company has a job opportunity and wants it viewed by our entire membership, contact the ASFP office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you interested in an opportunity to work with an organization that is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a full range of employee benefits and a competitive wage package? If so, consider joining our Domtar’s Team.
They are currently looking to hire:
- Planning Forester to co-ordinate the maintenance of current forest certification systems, and provide forest management planning support on Sustainable Forest Licence areas to ensure a sustained supply of wood. DOMTAR_INC_-_PLANNING_FORESTER.PDF
- Operations Forester to provide leadership in the implementation of Domtar’s safety, forest stewardship, production, and quality standards for Domtar’s contract harvest and haul on the Trout Lake and Wabigoon Forests. DOMTAR_INC_-_OPERATIONS_FORESTER.PDF
Please click on the link below for the detailed posting. If you are interested in applying, forward your resume, in confidence, by Wednesday May 30th, 2018 at 3:00 p.m. CDT to email@example.com
CONTINUING EDUCATION, WORKSHOPS, PRESENTATIONS, EVENTS
CIF E-Lectures – What’s scheduled in the next few weeks? Missed a Lecture? Just visit https://www.cif-ifc.org/e-lectures/
Please note that previous CIF e-lectures are only available to CIF members.
Canadian Wildland Fire Information System
Forest Fire Season is upon us. Track them with this interactive map. The Canadian Wildland Fire Information System (CWFIS) creates daily fire weather and fire behavior maps year-round and hot spot maps throughout the forest fire season, generally between May and September.
Robotics in Boreal Forestry Workshop and Drone-Seeding Demonstration
The Northern Forestry Centre is hosting a “Robotics in Boreal Forestry Workshop and Drone-Seeding Demonstration”. This initiative is led by Dr. David Price, Research Scientist on Integrated Modelling of Climate Change Impacts at the Canadian Forest Service.
Seating is limited, contact: Ray Darwent firstname.lastname@example.org Tel : 1-780-435-7279
Submit a nomination now for Canada’s Volunteer Awards!
Employment and Social Development Canada is now accepting nominations for Canada’s Volunteer Awards! This is a great opportunity to recognize the important work of volunteers and to acknowledge that our country would not be the same without them.
The call for nominations for Canada’s Volunteer Awards is now open until June 15, 2018. You are invited to:
- nominate an individual, a group, a not-for-profit organization or a socially responsible business to receive an award; and
- Promote the call for nominations to your
Awards will be presented in the following categories:
- One (1) national award – Therese Castrating Lifelong Achievement Award, for individuals who have volunteered for at least 20 years;
- Five (5) regional awards – Emerging Leader, for young volunteers between the ages of 18 and 30;
- Five (5) regional awards – Community Leader, for individuals or groups of volunteers;
- Five (5) regional awards – Business Leader, to recognize businesses that demonstrate social responsibility; and
- Five (5) regional awards – Social Innovator, to recognize the contributions of not-for-profit
Award recipients will be recognized at a ceremony and will be able to choose a not-for-profit organization to receive a grant of $5,000 (regional awards) or $10,000 (national award).
Help highlight Canada’s volunteer culture! Nominate a volunteer, not-for-profit organization or business in your community today!
For more information about the Awards, please visit Canada.ca/volunteer-awards or call 1-877-825-0434.
Here are some forestry articles that may interest you. Click on the title to access the full article.
- Forest fire closing in on northern Saskatchewan communities
- Even underground oil sands mines can harm forest wildlife
- Alberta creates world’s largest protected boreal forest
- Natural regeneration or tree-planting? Study points to bias in forest restoration studies
- A Billion-Dollar Fortune From Timber and Fire
- Canadian forestry firms reap share gains as investors hope for lumber ‘super cycle’
- Forestry, mining, others, urge for action on Trans Mountain Pipeline
- Weyerhaeuser profits climb due to strong housing market
- Trudeau’s environment, economy balancing act to play out on his Western Canadian tour
You can also click below to access ADDITIONAL NEWSLETTERS
SPECIAL OFFICE HOURS
- Week of May 28th- June 1st, there will be no office hours due to the
- Week of June 18th-22nd, there will be no office hours due to the Council Meeting on June 21st. You can email all your inquiries to email@example.com
Office hours are usually 12:30-4:30 pm (or later by appointment), unless otherwise announced
If you have links to fascinating articles or videos or information about a job opportunity or continuing education seminar, please email NEWSEM and I will pass it on.
This monthly publication provides information of interest to our members from the CIF and ASFP about upcoming workshops, meetings, field tours, continuing education opportunities, and forestry news.